3.02.2008

Deconstructing an Anti-modern

One of the most important classes I took in my Master's degree dealt with modernity and postmodernity as meta-mindsets. The instructor, my advisor, demonstrated a brilliant understanding of postmodernism's root in modern rationalism.

As I went through that class, he presented a V-shaped chart to explain the progress. Across the top were five "mindsets." First was the naive premodern, second the premodern (or willful premodern), third the modern, fourth the anti-modern, and fifth, the postmodern. Moving down from the top left of the chart, a line shows the progression of philosophical thought through these columns as those who began as naive premoderns came to embrace the enlightenment experiment and modernity as a philosophy. However, as modern philosophies (such as logical positivism) took their toll, postmodernism was the end result. The line moves to the bottom of the page, past the point of despair to complete postmodernism. This line downward remains under the label of the modern mindset.

From there, he posits that many people reconstruct a metaphysic and move from the position of postmodernism under the modern mindset to a postmodern mindset which no longer holds to that complete subjectivity. The postmodern mindset still recognizes the questions and issues of modernity, but no longer trusts modernity to solve the problems it claims to solve. The class was brilliant!


However, I think one of the most interesting concepts I encountered in the class was the mindset of the "antimodern." To my instructor, the antimodern was the Christian who, because he had dealt with the questions posited by modernity, could no longer be a premodern. But in many ways, the anti-modern should be seen as someone who embraces the mindest of modernity in order to break down its foundation. The study of apologetics is an anti-modern endeavor, it attempts to call into question modern philosophy on its own basis and prove Christianity according to modern standards.


When I first went to Bible college, apologetics was one of my most passionate interests. Without really knowing what it meant, I had embraced the mindset of the anti-modern. My goal was to provide rational and empirical evidence which would be undeniable and would compell reasonable people to believe. I really intended to construct a modern argument proving why the gospel message was absolutely compelling and impossible to deny. As anyone who has read my blog can see, I abandoned that endeavor some time between my junior year of college and my first year of graduate school. At some point I acknowledged that it isn't possible to work in the realm of "knowledge." That being said, I really consider my change in this area to be growth.


One of the apologists who I have listened to and appreciated for years is Ravi Zacharias. In fact, for a few years I had pipe-dreams of doing something similar to what he does, as much of his work is an anti-modern critique of postmodernism as a philosophy. There is no question that he understands postmodernism and sees its faults. However, I no longer feel that the apologetic approach is the way to get at postmodernism. Here is why: the whole notion of apologetics, to me, is an attempt to prove that scripture measures up to modern thought when, in truth, modern thought ought to be measured against scripture. The anti-modern mindset really is rooted in modern rationalism more so than in scripture, in that it takes seriously enough the claims of modernity to force scripture to measure up to it.

A two-part message on Ravi's podcast, which was actually delivered several years ago, was called Cultural Relativism and the Emasculation of Truth . In it, Ravi began unpacking the issue of truth in our time. He delivered three reasons why the world has been led into falsehood in our time. The most wonderful was the first: that reason has replaced revelation. He, correctly, traces the beginning of the enlightenment experiment to Kant, who set in motion the wheels of modernity in his claim that all that can be known is phenomena. Of course, Kant still believed in the noumena. But as modernity went on, those who followed gradually removed the supernatural from the discussion altogether. At the end of the 19th century, it was Nietzsche who came out and blatantly said that it was now up to mankind to deliver an ethic apart from any supernatural influence. God was dead, we had killed him. Now it was time for the superman to come forward and create a new world.

Ravi, also, correctly pinpointed the real issue in that point. It is that Kant really isn't the forerunner of that line of thinking. In fact, it goes all the way back to Genesis 3. The fundamental mistake was to look inward for a sense of right and wrong rather than to trust what God had said was true. This is why the serpent asks, "Did God really say you would die if you ate from this tree?"

Ravi's first point in this lecture was, I think, brilliant. The goal is to move to scripture, to begin with scripture as a starting point in theology. From there, it is possible to build a system which is, really, self-authenticating. In this way, I thought Ravi was consistent with a most post-modern of all theological movements, Radical Orthodoxy.

However, his second point disappointed me because it displayed a massive anti-modern influence. The first problem was that reason had replaced revelation. The second was that truth has been subverted by agnosticism. Here is why I find this interesting. In a sense, Ravi's first point is an attempt to abandon Kantian thinking and begin with scripture as a foundation rather than rationalism. It doesn't really try to address Kant as much as to leave him behind. To my mind, however, the second point is really an abandonment of the first point.

His goal in the second is to prove that we CAN have knowledge. Of course, the Kantian definition is that knowledge is "justified, true belief." In this definition, especially in metaphysics, knowledge is really impossible. This is why agnosticism has become so popular. In this, I don't think Ravi is far off. The Kantian idea about knowledge has caused problems. But, is the solution to insist on our ability to "know?"

Scripture, of course, uses the word "knowledge" a lot, even in reference to our knowing God. However, I think the line is blurry between the relational and rational notions of knowledge in scripture. Is the Bible referring to our ability to know God or know of him? The first is relational, the second rational. To my mind, the Bible concentrates on the first, the relational knowledge. The second, the rational, I think is exemplified in the cry one man made to Jesus, "I believe...help my unbelief!" It really isn't possible, in a modern sense, to come to knowledge about God. This is what faith is: belief even in the admission that "I don't know with certainty."

What I thought was strange about Ravi's second point was how often he equivocated rational knowledge with belief. His point was that when we rule out rational knowing, we have ruled out the ability to believe in anything. But I think he's wrong! Postmoderns, those moving from modernity (especially from postmodernism), are re-embracing faith but still affected by modern ideas about knowledge. In other words, just because I claim it isn't possible to KNOW something, doesn't mean I can't BELIEVE it! In fact, I think faith is only possible in the absence of knowledge!

Oh, anyway...I'm not sure that came across. I guess my point is that I can see that the anti-modern may never really click with postmodern culture. While Ravi, in his genius, will continue to be a favorite of mine, I have to admit I don't think he and I would ever be on the same page. Interestingly, where I now live is about 40 minutes from his headquarters! If ever the opportunity came to meet him, I now have it. But, interestingly, I feel further now from his thinking than I ever did.

Later.

8 comments:

Jesse said...

yes, but my question is:

how do we know for sure that we cannot know anything for sure?

after reading your thoughts (multiple times!) i am sensing that post-modern thought is not saying there is no absolute truth, just no absolute knowledge.

Jason said...

It's a good question. I don't know that we can "know" we can't "know" anything! Ha!

I think that's exactly it. Postmodern people are coming around and acknowledging modernity's struggle with knowledge. If knowledge is defined in Kantian terms, as "justified, true, belief," then who really has "knowledge." Postmoderns are acknowledging this. But that doesn't mean there isn't TRUTH, it just means there isn't knowledge. From there, the jump is to FAITH. In my opinion, faith is exactly the choice to believe in something that you can't KNOW with certainty.

Jesse said...

awesome. for some reason that gets me excited...

"faith is exactly the choice to believe in something that you can't KNOW with certainty."

hmmm... wow...
good stuff. thanks!

i have never quite heard it put that way before.

Jason said...

Glad you find it exciting. I did quite a few posts on certainty last year. They're still on the blog, if you have time and can't think of anything better to spend it on!

Ryan said...

Isn't the issue primarily a socio-linguistic one? Take for instance the assumption of the Enlightenment, which in essence amounts to a deification of language on the order of the universality of mathematics (which, of course, is no more universal than any other language). Within that construct, knowledge is brought from a universal abstractness and codified in a language system that is believed to be just as universal. Whether this assumption is implicit in the modernist agenda or not is perhaps not the point; the fact is that it enables the entire project. Of course, that makes it fragile. I am reminded here of Wittgenstein's reply to the logical positivists, "Who verifies the verification principle?" The recognition of culturally limited language games as cultural language games is really what deconstruction is all about. The point of revelation (over against Ravi) is not that it is a denial of the linguistics of postmodernity, but that it is spoken in the only true universal language, the logos of God. As Christians, we understand that that logos is not abstracted from the historical-covenantal reality of the son of God, and accordingly is a redefinition of both knowledge and certainty.

Jason said...

I think what I learned from Wittgenstein is that, within a specific paradigm, it is possible to talk about knowledge. And, it seems to me, that the most self-authenticating and coherent paradigm is that of Jesus Christ. The problem with modernity, and the antimodern critique, is that its version of knowledge claims to be the only rationally (and empirically) verifiable paradigm.

I've abandoned, however, the notion that any of this discussion is really anything new. The primary issue with humanity goes all the way to the beginning--and the question was about knowledge even then. At that time it was knowledge of good and evil, but the temptation was to seek it apart from the logos as the foundation of light and life.

I think the language of postmodernity is possibly the means by which we understand this problem in our time. At least, it seems like a brilliant metaphor for the whole problem of sin. The problem with looking at it this way is that there is a temptation to blame someone like Descartes, Kant, or Duns Scotus for the problems which really go all the way back to the beginning.

But, as my advisor at LCS said, once you've been infected by Kant's concept of knowledge, it really isn't possible to move back to where you were as a premodern. The only move which works is to reconstruct a faith which begins with Christ and moves from there to discuss knowledge within his framework. I think that's the difference between the antimodern approach to the problem and the postmodern one.

I think I may have answered your comments by merely reasserting my own. It doesn't help that I recognize you are clearly working at a level quite a bit higher than mine!

Ryan said...

agreed, a pre-modern nostalgia is certainly not a viable option. Unfortunately, it seems to me that RO is trying to do just that. They are doing the very thing you've just described (i.e. blaming it all on Duns Scotus).

The failure of theology in this conversation is to assume that the gospel or the church is simply another paradigmatic option amongst other cultural options (a sort of Niebuhrian ecclesiology). What I think we have happening in the NT is the establishment of a super-paradigmatic structure. In this way, the cross becomes not a way of augmenting the Kantian phenomena, but the only way of understanding anything at all.

This is the problem with evidentialist approaches to apologetics, they all are forced to operate under the delusion that the cross is incidental to who and what God is. That being said, there seems to be room for natural theology. Natural theology, done rightly, "...is the attempt to show the nongodforsakenness of the world even under the conditions of sin" (Hauerwas).

His Gifford Lectures, called "With the Grain of the Universe" in book form, are an attempt to establish a theologically reconstituted natural theology by looking at the lectures of Reinhold Niebuhr, William James, and Karl Barth. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for another approach.

Hope all is well!

Jason said...

I agree that it is insufficient to simply list Christianity as one option (even as the best option) in a culture of options. However, I've always felt that attaching a meta-label to it doesn't remove from it that it is, itself, a paradigm--a way of understanding things. It may be a super-paradigm, but it is still a paradigm. But, once we begin with it, it does seem to put everything in a coherent perspective--including Kantian metaphysics.

Agreed on the evidentialist point.

We're good. We miss you and the rest of the gang back at CCCB.