10.11.2007

Hubben and Why I May not Vote in the Upcoming Elections

I just finished (actually, it's taking me so long to read or blog lately, that I really finished it weeks ago but am just getting around to finishing this blog) reading Dostoevsky, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche and Kafka by William Hubben. Not an especially long read, the book is a brief analysis of the life and works of four wildly important existentialists. Hubben does a good job outlining a type of progression of thought, beginning with Sören Kierkegaard. Dostoevsky is next, then the nihilism of Friedrich Nietzsche, and finally Franz Kafka desperate in hoplessness and lack of meaning.

One amazing insight of these "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse," as Hubben refers to them, is how insightful they are about 19th century Christianity. Each, for different reasons, found the merging of Christianity and government to be ultimately distasteful and a complete rejection of what Christianity has always stood for. Though Dostoevsky's Russian nationalism is emphasized as a theme, this paragraph on Nietzsche said much:

"In the vein of Kierkegaard's thinking, with which he was unacquainted, Nietzsche, the Antichrist, is indignant about the unholy fusion of state and religion, as he also believes that the state prevents the Single One from attaining his dignity. Original Christianity taught man not to conform to the state and even to separate himself from his family for the sake of the spirit. Our statesmen, 'anti-Chrisitians in their deeds,' have clearly changed this. They attend communion. they promote 'Christian' thinking in their speeches and schools. The chasm between the world and the faith of Jesus has been eliminated. Now the Christian is a soldier, a judge, a patriot who knows nothing about non-resistance to evil. He defends his honor instead of accepting humiliations; he is as proud as though he had never heard of the humble Galilean's teachings, and the Church has become precisely that institution Jesus had wanted to abolish." (108)

Assuming that Hubben's treatment of Nietzsche's thoughts on Christianity are accurate (and from what I've read of Nietzsche, they certainly don't contradict his thoughts on Jesus), I think this paragraph has some weight. Though Nietzsche's relationship to Christianity is, at the very least, antagonistic, he does make a particularly insightful observation of the result of the fusion of government and Christianity--that it damages Christianity. Though I don't think the statement "separate himself from family for the sake of the spirit" is accurate, the notion that the statesmen misunderstand Christianity is absolutely true.

In my time I have noticed that this fusion is most often used as a manipulation tactic by both of the main political parties. Each has a propensity to proclaim itself "Christian," and loves to relate its planks to Christian values. This consistently sets Christians in a strange position in which they feel the need to "vote their Christian values," but find themselves voting for a person whom they do not understand, know, or trust, because they have assumed that his views are really the "Christian" views.

Let me start another way. I have always been turned off by businesses which advertise on their signs or in their Yellow Page ads that they are "Christian" businesses. You find plumber ads with the ichthus symbol and lawyer signs with Bible verses. But what does one have to do with the other? What does the business owner gain from such a maneuver? Is he promoting the Kingdom of God? Is our call to advertise that we are Christians or is the call to behave like Christ? My conclusion is that the reason business owners do this is that so many Christians are convinced that Christianity is supporting Christian entertainment and frequenting Christian businesses to promote other Christians.

Similarly, politicians love to talk about their "faith." But I've never heard a politician describe a faith that I felt I had much in common with. I have voted pro-life since I was old enough to pull a lever because I felt my Christian faith necessitated that. Yet, those who claimed to be pro-life never acted on their pro-life positions. And, on top of that, the global situation has only worstened as those I have voted for have made decisions which have now turned into other problems.

The bottom line is, I'm not sure I'm voting this time for two reasons. One, as a citizen I doubt very much I'm going to find someone I really can get behind. Two, as a Christian, I don't think it's the point!

I think Bonhoeffer's thoughts on Luther are relevant to my thinking on this now:

"It was the Reformation that broke asunder the unity of the faith. That was not because Luther willed it so. He was indeed wholly concerned for the true unity of the Church. But the word of the Bible forced him to the conclusion that the unity of the Church can lie only in Jesus Christ as He lives in His word and sacrament, and not in any political power. In this way he shattered the whole structure of the Church, which was founded upon Roman tradition. Only a Pope who submitted unreservedly to the word of the Bible could be the shepherd of a united Christendom. But the Pope, bound as he was by tradition, was incapable of submission, and that is why the unity of Christendom was destroyed. The corpus christianum is resolved into its true constituents, the corpus Christi and the world. In His Church Christ rules not by the sword but solely with His word. Unity of Faith exists only in obedience to the true word of Jesus Christ. But the sword is the property of the secular government, which in its own way, i the proper discharge of its office, also serves the same Lord Jesus Christ. There are two kingdoms which so long as the world continues, must neither be mixed together nor yet torn asunder. There is the kingdom of the preached word of God, and there is the kingdom of the sword. The kingdom of the Church, and the kingdom of the world. The realm of the spiritual office, and the realm of secular government. The sword can never bring about the unity of the Church and of the faith. Preaching can never govern the nations. But the Lord of both kingdoms is the God who is made manifest in Jesus Christ (Ethics, 95-96)."

For what it is worth, I'm not certain how closely Bonhoeffer's synopsis of Luther on the topic actually mirrors his own views, but I like the paradox offered here.

This is a disjointed thought--but I've found my time so precious lately! I'm busy and loving my new job.

Final thought. Please pray as I'm working on a new article submisson. The last few weeks have done more to solidify some of my thinking on church leadership and gender roles than any time I have spend studying. I am considering writing an article rethinking 1 Timothy 2-3 based on my recent sermons. You can check them out by clicking the link to my podcasts.

Thanks!

6 comments:

Brian said...

Voting is absolutely imperative for a democracy. I completely understand when folks tell me they're tired and burned out as I've had to take a step back or three and just breathe.

It is discouraging to look at our 2 party ruled system and to think this is a real democracy? Is it? Sure, we've got it better than most nations on the planet but still, it's worth taking a long hard look at.

Our system seems to be so candidate driven and any one of these men or women can make a huge gaff and that's the end of it (think Dean scream or worse).

But when we throw up our hands (or worse, use Scripture to justify what I term as apathy), that's seriously bad news. The system is not perfect but I firmly believe it's our responsibility to speak out when things go awry. We have to, we just have to.

I'm not saying you or any other person should back a particular party or candidate or issue but just to realize that whether we like it or not, the consequences can be very real and can be very negative.

I could try and pinpoint verses but I don't feel I've got the right to do so at this point - but I know in my heart of hearts, in my gut that we must speak out.

To further my point, whether we like it or not, we vote with our dollars, where we shop, what we drive, where and how we live so on and so forth. "Voting" is not just limited to filling up the ballot box.

To close, Jesus was immensely political I think. He stuck up for the marginalized and took on the supposed religious leaders of the day. I think we're called to essentially do the same thing and that's... political (i.e. voting, protesting etc.).

For a final final conclusion (I think), we need be extremely careful of going to extremes here while realizing that voting among other things is important but not a be all end all and that being completely apathetic is dangerous (very) and using religious means to justify such behavior - doing so on both sides has been done. I would propose doing it on a grounds of conscience and finding those common grounds as a means of unity and not division.

Final final final conclusion (maybe), we need also be very careful with this new emergent church movement that sometimes lays claim to the anabaptist, menonite, quaker, third way blah blah blah (not limited to) movement because well... it's trendy. Let me be clear, I'm not saying it's inherently a bad thing but as with anything else we need to be careful in our judgment.

Politics is real and its consequences are very real. We need to vote, period (whether it be a protest vote or what have you, I don't care what candidate or party). We need to express ourselves in a very real and pragmatic way. Pontificating on the matter from a wholly spiritual standpoint and why we should abstain from the process entirely is disingenuous and absolutely counterproductive.

Finally, I apologize for poor grammer but this is a blog so it's to be expected I guess. XD

Jason said...

Thanks for the comments! No prob on the grammar.

I think you are right that voting is important to maintain the democracy, and are right in virtually everything you said. Having conceded that, I think my motive for not voting is more about the fact that I don't believe any system of government will have the capacity to actually do what it promises. For that reason, and because I don't think the message of scripture is to change the world politically, I don't think my voting really makes a difference.

It's not really apathy, or giving up. To my mind, it's moving on. You are correct that Jesus was political--but only in a sense. Jesus (and the church after him) was political in that his message offers a critique of all humanity, including political humanity. But Jesus was not political in his methodology. He didn't attempt to change the world politically, but personally. When he stood before Pilate before his crucifixion, he didn't lobby for rights for the people, he spoke to him personally of truth. In that sense, Jesus completely transcends politics. I think the church must also.

I have lost faith in the American system of government. But I've really lost faith in any system of human government. In much the same way that you speak of losing faith in God or the Bible, I've lost faith in they system that I think you're really appealing to--government and politics. I don't think these are the way to effect change.

Brian said...

So what about the water problem in Atlanta?

What about the statement "Everything we do is "political."?

I guess I appeal to it because it gets stuff done, it's measurable and quantifiable, it's tangible.

I'm "spiritual" but probably not in the aspect you would want me to be and I *think* there is a happy blend between all of this.

If we separate these, where do we get our gumption? It seems to me you're appealing to a wholly spiritual/religious aspect here. All I can say is that a.) politics is not my religion (just to clarify), b.) I want to see stuff get done. Praying for the hungry get fed doesn't cut it, I'd rather go out and see to it that it gets done.

Jason said...

How does my voting cause it to rain in Atlanta? I'm not certain. Bottom line is there will always be problems and disasters. Katrina hits New Orleans no matter who I vote for, so I'm not sure what the connection is there.

Is the government going to feed the hungry? I'm not sure. And I'm not convinced its the government's place to do so. But the government will do what it does either way. I agree that praying for the hungry isn't enough. But you seem to be saying there are only two options--politics or prayer. What about prayer and action?

You know, I don't know whether I will vote or not. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think a human system of government will solve our problems. It is a modern idea that it can--but when has it ever done so? The dems had control in the Clinton era, we still had hunger and war. The republicans have control under Bush, we still have hunger and war. Education doesn't fix all our problems, political structures don't either. Why do we think they can now? Say Obama is elected. You think Iraq won't still be a cluster-mess? There won't be hungry people. Can he solve our problems? I don't think he will--I don't even think he has the power to. My guess is that he's got his own agenda like everyone else in politics.

Brian said...

Let me preface my statement that regardless I'll respect your decision whatever it is. Also, conversation can be a bit limited here as I'm not always as clear as I should be.

No, voting has nothing to do if it rains or not. That made me smile but let me be more clear. Voting has a lot to do with those who are put in power who help place a solid infrastructure. It would seem to me that local government has failed... miserably there in Atlanta. From reports I've read they're only encouraging a 10% conservation goal - so, it's safe to say the idea of "conservation" has had little to do with anything or anyone the last several years and not only there but over a great great deal of the US of A. I see voting as a very positive thing for local politics and the local economy. For example, in Tucson the teachers were offered a whopping 1% raise earlier this year which was essentially a slap in the face. The teacher union got together and threatened action (a walk out of sorts) and they eventually got what they had worked hard for. That's politics, like it or not... it's still there.

As for New Orleans, their infrastructure was ill prepared for any hurricane. In fact, a great deal of funds were diverted from reparations of the levees to the war in Iraq. There was a huge 7 part series in their local paper about the whole debacle.

Let me be clear, I am no fan of politics as I hate the smearing and I hate the division. I've been called the worst of names and it hurt sometimes... deeply. My ten years of service was nothing and all of a sudden I was labeled all sorts of things like "traitor" etc. That hurt but I felt it was my duty and responsibility to speak up and out.

I wasn't saying there were only 2 options for prayer or action. Typical mainstream Christianity does exactly that in my humble opinion and experience. As stated, there is a happy blend of the two but I feel both sides do far too much of one thing but I must be honest I prefer something tangible and quantifiable. That to me is "gospel," that is backing up my "faith" with actions and not mere words or hopes or aspirations. I need to do as well as pray.

I also realize that Obama is fallible and I don't agree entirely with everything he has to say but considering the reality of our 2 party monopoly system he's my pick out of all the other candidates. He isn't my savior and he certainly isn't my be all end all. I realize that but as for me, I believe him to be the best choice.

Apathy won't get us anywhere imho. Neither using religion as a pretext on not voting, neither using religion as a pretext for single issues (i.e. guns, gays and abortion etc.).

No, government wont' solve all of our problems and to think so is very naive. I never said such a thing but I also realize it's a very real mechanism that helps and of course is not a be all end all. To think that government is solely to take care of the poor, hungry, homeless is presumptuous. My argument is that it's everybody's responsibility. We've seen to have come to a consensus that's it's the church building on the block or the local community program and while those are good (they really are) we're losing something in our community. I've no easy answer for you, but I'm advocating some sort of closer knit community - not in favor of legislating but advocating. And that is a fine fine area to where the church can step in. I don't think we're there as things are bit too differentiated, compartmentalized but I think things are heading there. I believe things to be getting more decentralized within faith communities and I view that as very healthy, less businessy and more community (i.e. relationship focused).

To say that education or political mechanisms don't "fix our problems" is a very bold statement. They do indeed help. You've received pell grants, loans I'm sure among other things. It's helped and it's helped mightily for me also. Just like that title of one of your blog posts was appropriate: "Pacifism and Reality" so is "Politics and Reality" for this particular post. To say they don't fix our problems is... well, it's just not accurate. Take for example the clean air and water act which have helped enormously and although while not perfect it's helped. Also the civil rights act of '64 - that's real and quantifiable. To say they don't "solve our problems" is a slap in the face of the civil rights act imho. Nothing is perfect and there's a ways to go and luckily in regards to that I'm an optimist and have a heart to help out - that's what keeps me sane even though I've had to take a step back every now and then.

My $0.02.

Ryan said...

I've become one of them...a blogger