6.07.2007

A Benefit of Non-Certainty

In my recent posts, I have dealt with epistemological certainty when doing theology. My view gets a bad rap sometimes, but it is honest. However, last night I think I discovered a real benefit to acknowledging doubt.

My family and I went out to do some clothes shopping (a truly rare occurence). Of course, after two hours of shopping, I was delirious and groggy. We decided to eat at Applebees (another rare occurrence), and were seated at a table just outside the bar area.

The restaurant was not crowded and it was easy to listen in on the conversations of other people in the room. One man was very easy to hear--he was seated at the bar and talking to a woman there. He sounded like he was a university student, but he was a little older than what is typical. He had had anywhere from two to nine beers, apparently, and was feeling pretty confident. Ironically, he looked and sounded pretty ridiculous. He was one of those lucky guys whose reaction to alcohol was largely philosophical. He began to explain to the woman next to him--in several different wordings and volume levels--this basic idea: "God" is just a human construct developed to provide people with comfort in the face of their struggles.

Now, I was immediately interested and were it not for the fact that I was there with my family and this guy was nearly incoherent, I would have attempted to engage him in conversation. But here is the crux--his statement really had me thinking, and had me a little worried. I began to wonder how I would respond to him if he had presented that idea to me. How do you answer such a claim? The worst of it was, I've heard the question before and even talked about it in classes. This was exactly Ludwig Feuerbach's idea when he inverted the Hegelian Dialectic and claimed that God is a projection of man.

Of course, if God is a projection, he is a poor projection. If we were creating him for our comfort, you'd think we'd create a more comfortable God. That's the first and easiest problem with his statement. But it is not a proof that the man was incorrect. How can I show him that he cannot possibly be right? I came to the conclusion that I couldn't prove it one way or the other. I flirted with despair!

It finally occurred to me that the reason I was having a hard time trying to argue in my mind against his statement was that his statement really wasn't an argument. He wasn't giving a reason not to believe in God, he was giving an explanation for the question, "If God doesn't exist, why is there so much talk about God?" He was shouting (literally) that God is a figment, but was really beginning from the paradigm that God does not exist. But there is a central flaw here related to certainty.

I really think the strength of Christianity lies in something other than knowledge. What do I mean . . . ? The man at the bar last night was resting on the assumption that God definitely does not exist. And his anger was reflective of the feeling of assurance he had about God's ontological status. This is the weakness of atheism: it claims to have all of the ins and outs well in hand--it claims that it knows with certainty that God definitely does not exist. From there, it attempts to explain why we have all of this talk about God. But that kind of knowledge is exactly what is not possible from an enlightenment definition of knowledge--even though that is what modernity claims about God. It really is impossible to prove God's ontological status one way or the other with a modern understanding of knowledge. At last, non-certainty has a bright side!

That is also the strength of Christianity. We don't claim to have complete knowledge--far from it. We are limited humans with limited ability to know anything with certainty. The atheist claims he knows that God does not exist--if he doesn't claim that, then he is really just an agnostic. But the Christian is free from this prison of knowledge to refer to himself as a believer. I finally breathed a great sigh of relief last night when I realized, I don't have to prove it, only believe it. Christians are not knowers in the Kantian sense, but believers.

Really, it takes a great deal of hubris to claim to have knowledge of God's existence or non-existence. As my friend said to me today, what a person is actually saying when he claims to know is that he himself owns that knowledge, he has complete grasp of it. Saying "I know" is really a statement about my ability to know something. But I don't think I am capable of knowing or having a complete understanding.

The Bible means something else completely when it refers to knowledge. It is an experiential knowledge, not an acquiring knowledge. It is this concept of knowledge that I hope to understand someday. I am just about ready to start reading Polanyi's Personal Knowledge and have also picked up Wittgenstein's On Certainty. When I finally come to my conclusion, I'll let you know!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I hadn't read your blog in a while and I thought that I would catch up. You have been talking a lot abut knowledge and belief in the posts that you have been leaving. I like your train of thought that you ended with. Ultimately epistemological certainty may not have any more relevance at all to the situation in the end. You cited the situation with Thomas, whom i think has gotten a rotten rap as doubting Thomas. The question may not be his wanting evidence but his acceptance of the person of Christ. I don't think I said that very well let me try again. The question for Thomas, and for us, is not whether or not Jesus exists, after all He was standing right in front of Thomas. But whether or not we accept who He is. When you and I talk in your office you never run around the desk and make certain I am who I say I am. Our belief must be centered around our personal relationship with the Lord. His existence is not precipitated because of my knowledge of Him, but my knowledge of Him precipitates my relationship with Him. I can testify about Jesus to my friends and neighbors because I am certain of my relationship with Him. Is this a feeling? When I try to examine this sureness it is not something that I feel as much as it is a sense of His presence, much like you know when someone else walks into the room without seeing them or hearing them. I know this rambles a bit I will have to give it a little more thought. Your posts made me realize that maybe not all believers are certain of His presence in their lives. I do know that I would be poorer for that lack. Darryl

Jason said...

Well, I appreciate your openness to these thoughts. You and Terry have been very patient with me about all of this and I appreciate that you guys haven't judged me about it!

I think you are actually presenting a very good alternative, and it is the alternative I am trying to get to. You are really discussing knowledge in a relational sense--ginosko, not oida. (Or is it the other way around?) That is what I think the Bible refers to when it speaks of knowledge. You are presenting the alternative of relational knowledge, I "know" God like I "know" you, my friend.

I want you to know that I do understand this type of knowledge, I do feel that I "know" him personally. What I am wrestling with is a sort of enlightenment view of knowledge--that I can have a complete grasp on the nature of his existence and say I know with certainty that I am not fooled. Even though I believe I know him personally, I cannot say that I couldn't be fooled into thinking so.

I'm not sure I agree with your take on Thomas' doubt of who Jesus is. It seems that Thomas' doubt was whether he believed Jesus could be alive--he was told that Jesus was seen alive and he said, "I will not accept it until I have physical proof."

Also, your analogy of me not checking to make sure you exist is kind of relevant, but I don't think it is exactly right on. When you are in my office, I can say, "I know Darryl, who he is and what his beliefs and passions are, etc." That is relational knowledge. But I can't say that I know with certainty that I am not fooled into believing in your existence.

Most people I know get frustrated and think that is ridiculous. There is an element of the ridiculous about it--on a practical level why even bother with that question? But when we're talking about metaphysics, I think the question has more bearing. Though I know him personally, can I say that I know I am not fooled?

This modern understanding of knowledge is the real difficulty. Also, I want you to know that am not questioning his presence in my life. I feel something which I interpret to be his presence, I recognize something which I assume is his activity. But I cannot say that I "know" that is God.

No. You are not worse off for not sharing my questions! I wish that I didn't have this question, but now that I have asked it, I don't think it is possible to ignore it.

Jason said...

The word I was looking for was "empirical." I do think Thomas was looking for "emprical" proof of Jesus' resurrection.

j

scott the mcnay said...

I have to be honest that i haven't even read this post yet, but I think it blows your whole openess belief if you can even post in the future. How did you get it to date the 6th of July?

Jason said...

Well, that's funny! Actually, this method of dating places the month in the second spot and the day in the first. So it is actually June, not July! Sorry for the confusion!

Anonymous said...

You stated...

"That is also the strength of Christianity. We don't claim to have complete knowledge--far from it."

And I'm not too sure how I sit with this because I find it a blanket statement. For starters, I would estimate that 90%+ have some sort of "certainty." Moreso, if mainstream Christianity as we know it could put faith/Christianity within a periodic table of elements... they would and in some sense they already have. That is, how I see it, a modern approach of faith to a modern sense of atheism.

Now, I'm babbling...

As humans we want definite answers - the sky is blue, this is a chair, this is how we do math but I believe when it comes to faith... our modern approach has done it an injustice. We've attempted to come up with clear and concise answers, make things black and white, and tried to put faith in a box (a periodic table type box).

I think the entire conversation is pretty much being re-engineered at this point. We know something happened, but as far as pinpointing where our (sometimes crappy) theology comes from is changing or is seemingly becoming less and less important.

More later.

Jason said...

Hey man,

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you're reading.

This is actually not a blanket statement. It is a statement regarding a specific epistemological point. If I said, "In Christianity there is absolutely no knowledge," I think you could say that I had made a blanket statement. But what I am saying is that no complete knowledge is available to anyone--including Christians.

Also, you are correct that Christians (I'm not sure about the 90% estimate) have some sort of "certainty." But "some sort of 'certainty'" and true epistemological certainty are two different things. Atheism (by some definitions) claims to have absolute epistemological certainty regarding God's ontological status ("We know God definitely does not exist.) Many Christians have attempted to counter that with their own arguments and to try to establish their own epistemological certainty regarding his ontological status ("we know God definitely does exist.")

My point is sort of in line with the thinking at the end of your comment--that the Bible doesn't approach things from a modern understanding of knowledge. It doesn't claim that you have absolute certainty according to a modern standard. So I am advocating to abandon the modern standard and approach Christianity from the perspective of faith, not knowledge.

For that matter, I understand you to be saying that we claim to have knowledge about things like the periodic table of the elements, the color of the sky (which is a subjective accidental quality and not something that I think can be objectively known), and the concept of ontological categories (this is a chair). But I would submit that in every case you have stated, we also only have relative certainty. For instance, if we can trust our senses and the information we have collected, and if we have not incorrectly labeled them, and if the physical world really does exist and is not a figment of our imaginations--then we can have relative knowledge that the periodic table of the elements is accurate (I'm not saying I believe those things--but that there are legitimate grounds to doubt). Humans do want definite answers, but I think we need to accept that we can only have relative certainty.

You are correct that people have tried to put faith in the box. I'm not certain what you meant in saying that, but hopefully you see that I'm actually NOT putting faith in the box! I'm trying to release it from the box that modern Christians attempt to put it into.

Anonymous said...

I think you're totally spot on when you say at best we've got relative certainty.

I wasn't making the accusation that you're trying to put faith in a box.

We've seen extremes, where faith is all knowledge or where faith is completely blind. And it seems they like to claim they're somewhere in between but I'd like to challenge that by saying: Like hell you are.

Instead of 90%, how about the majority of Christians? Or our institutions?

Jason said...

OK, sounds like a I misunderstood. I'm glad to see we're on the same page.

Later!

Peter Attwood said...

When Paul said that we see in a mirror in a riddle, it was in context of God's love. There is a craving for complete knowledge on some human foundation - and it can be anything ranging from cold rationalism to the mystery cults - that works by dispensing with the love of God, which rejoices in the truth and therefore gets us the certainty we need as nothing else does.

I think in this that Paul was expounding an earlier point, that he wants our faith to stand in the power of God and not in the wisdom of men - of whatever sort.